The area towns which include Dartmouth, Little Compton, Westport, Tiverton Four Corners, Adamsville, and Padanaram all offer the charm of quaint New England villages. They are unique places where visitors can eat homemade ice cream and gourmet sandwiches and browse through small shops and galleries. Take advantage of some of things there are to do listed here.
Vineyards & Breweries
- Westport Rivers Vineyard – A family owned vineyard and winery producing estate grown wines from New England ‘s largest vineyard. Their wines include traditional method sparkling wine, Chardonnay, Rosé of Pinot Noir, Riesling and other Alsatian varietals.
- Sakonnet Vineyards – Located in Little Compton, Rhode Island was founded in 1975 on the well-researched premise that the microclimate and soil conditions found along the Southeastern New England coast closely resemble some of the great wine regions of the world, particularly, the maritime climates of northern France. At present, fifty acres are planted with many Vinifera varietals including Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Franc as well as Vidal Blanc one of the French-American hybrids.
- Buzzards Bay Brewing Company -Brews great beers inspired by the land, sea and sky that surround us, for ourselves, our friends, our neighbors and visitors to the South Coast region. They want to grow in harmony with the South Coast by being a good neighbor, demonstrating stewardship of the land and producing the finest beers imaginable.
- New Bedford Whaling Museum – The New Bedford Whaling Museum is the largest museum in America devoted to the history of the American whaling industry and its greatest port.
- Buttonwood Park Zoo – The Buttonwood Park Zoo is nationally accredited by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association. It was established in 1894 and is the 12th oldest zoo in the United States.
- New Bedford Art Museum – Since 1996, the New Bedford Art Museum has been a fixture in downtown New Bedford, offering engaging exhibitions of artwork from around the corner and across the ocean.
- Sakonnet Boathouse – Offers kayak sales, instructions and tours. Seasonal, call for hours. 169 Riverside Dr., Tiverton (401) 624-1440.
- Demerest Lloyd State Park – Barney’s Joy Rd, S. Dartmouth – Wooded picnic areas, walking trails and sandy beach
- Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust – 404 Elm St, S. Dartmouth, 508-991-2289 – Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust (DNRT) is a non-profit, membership-supported organization, formed in 1971 by community members concerned about the future of Dartmouth.
- The Lloyd Center for Environmental Studies – The Lloyd Center serves individuals, agencies, and organizations in southeastern New England (Rhode Island to Boston to Cape Cod). It is the only area organization focused on educating the public about coastal and watershed issues, and conducting research on coastal ecosystems and endangered species. 430 Potomska Rd, S. Dartmouth, 508-990-0505 – Natural history science center with walking trails. Call for schedule of events.
- Horseneck Beach State Reservation – Spread across nearly 600 acres of barrier beach and salt marsh, Horseneck Beach is one of the most popular facilities in the Massachusetts State Forests and Parks system. Route 88 in Westport to John Reed Rd. – State Beach with large dunes & a view of the Elizabeth Islands. Facilities, parking & campground.
- Allens Pond Sanctuary – Wooded walking trails around Pond and along beach supported by Mass Audubon.
- Simmons Pond Sanctuary – Colebrook Rd, Little Compton, RI – Wooded walking trails around Simmons Pond.
- Grey’s Grist Mill – Historic Grist Mill still used as working mill to grind corn for famous Jonnycake Meal. Tues.-Sun. 12-4 638 Adamsville Rd., Westport, MA. Tel: (508) 636-6075
- Fours Corners Grille – popular restaurant using local produce, seafood, and wines. Open 7 days a week. 3841 Main Road, Rt. 77, Tiverton 4 Corners. (401) 624-1510.
- Cicily’s Cafe – Homemade bake goods & breads, sandwiches, soups & salads. Gourmet coffees and cappuccino. Ocean view. 6 Bridge Street, South Dartmouth. (508) 994-1162.
- Black Bass – Quaint seaside eatery, featuring interesting lunches, fine dinners, daily specials & weekend brunch. Local microbrews & wines. 3 Water Street, South Dartmouth. (508) 999-6975.
- Olive Garden – Italian Food, 360 State Road, North Dartmouth, MA 508-994-3289
- Outback Steakhouse – 349 State Road, North Dartmouth, MA 508-994-3700
- Peking Garden – 33 Faunce Corner Road, North Dartmouth, MA 508-990-1128
- Ninety-Nine Restaurant & Pub – 161 Faunce Corner Road, North Dartmouth, MA 508-999-0099
- Fried Glass Studios – Hand-blown glass and art by Lori and Ian Silvia. Classes, workshops, and viewing. 37 Old Stone Church Road, Little Compton. (401) 635-4044.
- Salt Marsh Pottery – Handmade, hand painted, pottery with tiles with wildflower images. Open Mon-Sat 10-5; Sun 12-5. 1167 Russells Mills Road, S. Dartmouth, MA 02748 Tel. 508-636-4813 or 800-859-5028.
- Saltworks Studio – Original paintings, etchings, and silkscreen prints. Studio open by appointment. 115 Elms Street, Padanaram Village, S. Dartmouth, MA. Tel. 508-991-5491
- Gustin Ceramics – Art Gallery exhibiting Contemporary Sculpture and Functional Ceramics. Open M-F 11-5; weekends by appt. or chance. 231 Horseneck Road, S. Dartmouth, MA. Tel. 508-636-6213
- Davoll’s General Store – One of the oldest general stores in America. 1228 Russell’s Mills Road, Post Office Box 51, Dartmouth, Massachusetts 02714-0051 Telephone (508) 636-4530. Toll Free Order Line (888) 282-0478
- Adriance Furniture makers – Tomorrow’s heirlooms, handcrafted today. Witness skilled artisans proudly creating American originals in the tradition of great New England design. 288 Gulf Road, South Dartmouth. (508) 993-4800.
There are many outlets and shops nearby. You may have outlets near you but these are “real” outlets that are typically housed in old textile factories. If you can’t find a deal, you just aren’t looking hard enough! Some of these outlets are: Howland Place Designer Outlet Mall, Quality Factory Outlets, Tower Outlet Mill, VF Factory Outlet Mall, and Wampanoag Mill Factory Outlet Center. Nearby malls include: North Dartmouth Mall, Silver City Galleria Mall, and the Swansea Mall.